My Whitetail Buck at Bow Season

By Clint Lindemann ~

It was the 2013 archery whitetail season. I did not bow hunt much that fall. This was only my sixth time out. I was working on my new crossbow, fine tuning it to my liking. I also went antelope hunting in Wyoming that year. I guess those are good reasons.

The first three nights I went out were right north of my house, which is out in the country about seven miles away from the nearest town in southeast North Dakota. I did not see any deer, so I called up my friend Kevin and asked if I could hunt down on his place. He asked, “Why haven’t you been down here already?” They live right along the Maple River and it is a deer’s paradise. I have always had good luck there but haven’t hunted on his place for years.

The first night I went and sat in a low tower, which is accessible and sits off the ground about five feet. I like to sit there first to see what is moving because I can see every corner of the field. The field that year was alfalfa. I saw a lot of deer and figured out where they were mostly moving. The best part was that they were moving in my favorite spot. I have shot two bucks there in previous years. Kevin calls it Clint’s spot. I call it the tall pines. It has six or seven rows of pines that run about 60 yards long. On one end the deer like to funnel through from their bedding spot to the feeding area. I like it because it is easy for me to get into and I can pretty much sit somewhere in that bunch of pines depending on the wind direction.

I first sat down there on November 1st. I had quite a few deer come within 40 yards but no shots. Had one big 4 x 4 within 10 yards of me but I was busted by him before he got in front of me. He was smart, he knew something wasn’t right, circled around and winded me. I could not go out that Saturday and Sunday, so I had to think about how I screwed up on that 4 x 4 for two days.

Monday came and luck was on my side. I got into my spot around 3 PM. Actually scared out two deer while getting out of the van. Around 4 PM, the does started coming out of the bedding area. There were about ten of them. All of a sudden, I started hearing grunting. Two little bucks started chasing around the does. There were deer running everywhere. The wind was perfect and they did not suspect me at all.

I used an absorbing scent wick and doused it with doe in estrus made by Buck Bomb. I also put an earth dirt scent patch on my camouflage burlap that I wrap around me. Evidently that stuff works. I also hooked up my new A-Way grunt call that has a long tube so I can use it easily. I started grunting at the little bucks. I played with them, grunting back and forth for at least a half-hour, but I could not get them to come in front of me.

All of a sudden another buck came. His antlers look like an antelope buck. He had bladed antlers that went straight up. I got him to come within 30 yards, but there were some branches in the way so I did not take the shot. He actually circled all the way around me and came into the trees where I was sitting, but somehow he did not bust me.

I got to watch him make a scrape and a couple rubs. I had witnessed that before but never so close. It was awesome. I think he was a little love stupid. After he got out of the trees I heard a big deep grunt. I knew it was something big. All of a sudden the two little bucks were sparring and he walked right in between them. You could see their necks puff up and they sized each other up.

They were only 30 yards away. After watching them for a little bit, I gave a couple soft grunts and the big guy came walking perfectly towards my scent wick. All I could see was four points on one side and a bunch of junk on the other side of his rack.

I knew I was going to take the shot if he gave me the opportunity. And he did. He came in front of c-lindemann-deerme about 15 yards, put his head up and caught wind of the wick when I pulled the trigger. I hit him high, and he ran about 20 yards and fell over. It took him quite a while to pass. I waited over an hour just to make sure he would not get up.

This was my first kill with my new Carbon Express Intercept crossbow. It was actually my first pass through. The arrow sliced right through him. The Slick Trick’s originals had done their job. He was a 7 x 5 with a lot of junk. Didn’t really care. He was a dandy…

I would like to thank my dad and Don for working on my crossbow. I would like to thank mom for bringing me hunting pretty much whenever I want. I would like to thank Kevin the landowner. And finally, I would like to thank Don for retrieving my buck and bringing him to the processor. Without these people my life would not be as enjoyable.

Crossbow Mount & Adapted Trigger Mechanism